Philanthropy University – LMS for a Global Non-Profit Organization
Philanthropy University was the first project I worked on as a professional software engineer. The project involved integrating Open edX and NodeBB to build a world-class learning management system with integrated forum discussions. I learned about scalability, server-to-server API design and authentication, secure single sign-on and DevOps while working on the project.
My most notable contributions were:
- Session sharing and single sign-on between Open edX and NodeBB
- Writing a custom ETL pipeline using Python and the Django ORM
- Enabling embedded NodeBB discussions in Open edX courses through an iframe integration
- Query optimization of MongoDB resulting in massively reduced CPU usage
- Custom theme development for Open edX (This one is way harder than it sounds.)
- Countless customizations and feature development on both Open edX and NodeBB
When we started the product had 0 users. We managed to scale it to over 150,000 users before I left Arbisoft.